“There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humour”- Charles Dickens
Christmas is almost upon us! While it is described as a season of joy and peace, for many it can also be a season of stress and sadness. I grew up with Charles Dickens “A Christmas Carol”, which is still one of my all-time favourite Christmas stories. When I saw this quote above from him, I just had to share it as a reminder to us all to spread laughter and good humour this Christmas. It can go a long way to ease the stress and sadness and spread love and joy to all.
As we wind down for the last month of the year, we are also in full planning mode for 2020. It’s been an amazing year for us and we look forward with optimism to 2020!
I hope you enjoy our last e-newsletter for 2019.
1. Round the Bays March 8th 2020
2. Research Day – Watch the video from the 2019 Research Day
3. Christmas Lunch
4. Special General Meeting
5. Invite to learn about the RGM (music-based rehabilitation method)
6. Congratulations and thank you’s
1. Round the Bays March 8th 2020 - Join in on the fun and be part of the MS & Vision PT Team! Although this year hasn’t finished yet we are already planning our first event for 2020 – participation in the Round the Bays fun run on Sunday 8th March. Start the year with a fun challenge to help increase your fitness and exercise regime. The event is for walkers, runners, pram pushers, or wheelchair users. Bring along your friends and family! At the end of the course we will gather for refreshments and friendship.
An information session at the end of November had Dean from Vision Personal Training cover lots of important details such as logistics, training plans and tips, costs and inclusions, and next steps (excuse the pun!).
I hope you will consider joining us. The cost to register is just $55/person which includes, your formal registration (plus pick up of your bib and race pack), a singlet, and the after-party food and refreshments. Everyone receives a medal on completion, plus there is lots of music and entertainment along the 8.4 km route.
If you are interested or think you could be interested then Liz will send you out a further info pack. Email Liz at email@example.com, or give her a call on 09 845 5921.
To be part of the MS & Vision PT team, you must register to Liz at firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 January 2020 . To quote the Nike slogan ‘Just do it!’
2. Research Day 2019 available to be viewed onlineResearch Day this year was once again a most interesting and informative event. If you missed this year don’t despair. Each speaker was videoed and can be seen and heard here - https://msresearch.nz/2019-live-stream/
3. Christmas Lunch 2019 – Sunday 8 December 12 noon It’s not too late to register to attend our Christmas Lunch this year at the Remuera Club. This is an annual event and a wonderful time to connect with old friends and to meet new friends. The cost is just $25 per person which includes a wonderful buffet lunch with tea and coffee. A cash bar is also available. We will also have a raffle, and if we can find someone to lead us, perhaps a few Christmas Carols will be sung to put us all into the holiday spirit!
To book your place at a table please e-mail email@example.com or call the office on 09 845 5921.
4. Special General MeetingIt’s been long overdue, but we’ve finally updated the Rules of the MS Auckland society and it is now up to our financial members to vote to accept the rules. The SGM will be held before the Christmas party at 11am at the Remuera Club. Copies of the updated Rules have been circulated by e-mail. If you didn’t receive a copy, or would like to have it sent through again please e-mail Ingrid@msakl.org.nz. There will also be hard copies available at the meeting.
5. Invite to learn about the RGM (music based rehabilitation method) There is a public lecture at the University of Auckland to learn more about the Ronnie Gardiner Method (RGM) used to assist conditions such as Parkinson’s, MS, stroke and more. RGM is a rhythm and music based rehabilititation method that has been used within Swedish health care and rehabilitation since 1993, with international dissemination since 2009.
To find out more and to register click here.
6. Congratulations and Thank you’sA big congratulations to Shona Carr who won the $100 gift voucher for completing our 2019 Survey. The survey will be a wonderful guide as we further seek to shape our programmes and services for the coming year. Thank you to everyone who took the time to fill it out and to express their thoughts.
We are so very grateful to all the wonderful people who support our work and make it possible for us to contine to provide our services in the community. Special thanks this month has to go to the Remuera Garden Club for their generous donation to MS Auckland, and to our ambassadors and honorary life members John and Lorraine Street for sharing their story with us of being parents of a child with MS. Their story went out in our latest mail appeal. If you didn’t receive a copy and would like to be included please e-mail me at Ingrid@msakl.org.nz.
I’ll be taking an extended leave as I travel overseas to spend time with grandchildren and family and overseas friends. I consider myself so very fortunate to be able to take such holidays and to have such a wonderful team who will be carrying on and keeping things running. We will continue to provide Facebook updates and postings on our website.
Our office will close on the 20th of December and will reopen on Monday the 6th of January.
Thank you, thank you, thank you to each and every one of you. May you have a Christmas filled with love and laughter and may your year ahead be one of Joy and Peace.
Yours in Gratitude,